Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Street Paintin'



Ok... here are the two head sketches I did outside today..... they were each exactly an hour. I had SO much fun. I parked myself in front of the library and just asked this guy if he wanted to make a quick $20 by posing for me for an hour, right there. Someone definitely put a flame under my ass for that hour, I assure you! It is so intoxicating to paint quickly from life!! I threw down a lot of color, and some of my drawing suffered along the way. But you gotta start somewhere, right? Then I got another woman to pose for me for one hour.... she was really into it. I've got a lot of work to do, but just practicing is so, so much fun. If I could plan my own future and life, I would just travel for 8 months a year painting people in their environments in other countries (and this one), and then spend the other 4 months trying to sell them all to pay for the next trip. Yup, that's what I would do. Paint from life EVERY day. Plus you meet the coolest people.... I was a little intimidated at first, walking around with my easel and hat and overalls, but once I found some nice people, I loosened up and just listened. Some people have seriously hard lives..... the guy, Wes, has 5 kids and he is younger than me. And he is a Muslim, which he said gets tricky here in Chattanooga and just generally the South. He was SO friendly. 
I can't wait to do more! I think I need to start paying less, though, or else I'm going to go broke by next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment